Thursday 17 January 2013

Going Gaga Over African Prints

Theres This New Frenzy Over African Prints Including African Inspired Prints Soooooo I Figured Aint No Harm In Doing Some Digging On The History Of African Print Fabric. Growing Up With A Dad Who Is Constantly Travelling The World (Including Most Of Africa) I Was Always Showered In Meters Of African Print Fabric And Never Knew What To Do With It. Now That I'm Older And I've Broadened My Fashion Sense African Fabrics Has Become My New Obsession!

Judging By The Current Collections On The Runway, Internationally And Locally, I'm Not The Only One. African Print Fabrics Make Up A Very Large Part Of Many African Countries' Traditional Outfits, These Countries Include Nigeria, Zambia, Angola, Ghana, Senegal and many more.

African Fabric Actually Has Dutch Origins, It Also Goes By Several Different Names Including Dutch Wax Print, Veritable Java Print, 'Ankara', 'Zambia' And Many More. Designers Such As Alexander McQueen, Gwen Stefani (L.A.M.B) and Patricia Field Have Joined The African Print Frenzy And Have Created Pieces To Die For, Visual Artists Such As Yinka Shanibare Got On The Frenzy Years Ago As Can Be Seen In Her Art Installation 'Scramble For Africa' (2003)!!

So If You Haven't Got The Hint Yet Get Yourself Some African Print Pieces ASAP And Join The African Frenzy!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment